Secure at school
Nationwide, schools reported 5,700 incidents of firearm or explosive device possession in the 2015-16 year. This map shows which Indiana schools were affected and how many incidents they experienced.
The information is from the 2015-16 Civil Rights Data Collection released by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. Data was self-reported by 17,300 public school districts and 96,400 public schools and educational programs.
The government defines firearms and explosive devices as "any weapon that is designed to (or may readily be converted to) expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. This includes guns, bombs, grenades, mines, rockets, missiles, pipe bombs, or similar devices designed to explode and capable of causing bodily harm or property damage."
Shootings near schools
Clicking a map point shows which schools were within 1/2 a mile, which were within 1/4 a mile, whether it happened while FWCS was in session and whether it happened between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Fort Wayne police verified whether each incident was a confirmed shooting and provided supplemental information about the incidents when necessary.
Special education in Allen County
Special education students account for nearly 15 percent of students statewide, totalling 167,478 students in the 2017-18 school year, according to the Indiana Department of Education. Here's a snapshot of the special education population in Allen County's middle and high schools. This diverse population includes students who earn a diploma and students who receive a certificate of completion.
Proposals for two unusual housing developments in Allen County garnered little opposition at Thursday's public hearing of the Allen...
May 14, 2021 1:00 am
- Trial delayed for 3 former officers
- Biden, GOP agree to keep talks going
- Pilots' safe landings after crash 'amazing'
- President warns against gas price gouging
- Health official forced out after cremations
- IU says Hunter leaving program
- TinCaps lose 4th straight game
- Fisher excited about joining Colts
- Giannis scores 40 in win over Pacers
- White Sox win; streak now at 6
- K's face 'do-or-die' game
- 'Racer' Johnson returns to Indy
- WNBA season underway after busy offseason
- Cindy's Diner sign gets refreshed
- Presidential Scholar named from Homestead
- American gaps
- McDonald's, others raising wages to attract workers
- When political party becomes a religious commitment
- Welcome back