Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Becerra

Wednesday, March 06, 2019 1:00 am

State won't charge Sacramento officers

Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California's attorney general said Tuesday that he won't charge two Sacramento police officers who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year, joining a local prosecutor in finding that the officers reasonably believed Stephon Clark had a gun as he moved toward them.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced the results of a yearlong investigation after telling Clark's mother privately.

Clark, 22, was suspected of vandalism when he was shot seven times in March 2018, and his killing prompted protests in California's capital and across the U.S.

New protests followed Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert's decision this weekend not to charge the officers, with 84 people arrested Monday.

People who had participated said at Tuesday's City Council meeting that police were overly aggressive, pushing and sometimes striking protesters and ramming them with bikes.

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg called for an independent investigation into police's response to the protest, and police Chief Daniel Hahn said the department was reviewing body camera footage.

The City Council meeting grew tense as people shared their reactions to the arrests. Steinberg shut the meeting down for about 15 minutes amid shouting.