Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Thursday, April 04, 2019 12:20 am

Angola house fire sparked by knocked over candle

Journal Gazette

An Angola home caught fire Wednesday after a cat knocked over a candle, sending a man to the hospital and a dog to a veterinarian.

According to a release from the Angola Fire Department, firefighters were called to 1208 W. Mill St., where they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the home. The department determined the cause of the fire to be accidental, the result of a candle being knocked over by a cat.

A dog was rescued, given oxygen and taken to a vet, while other animals were also rescued and given to the family.

A man was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation but was later released.

The fire department was assisted by the Steuben Township Fire Department, Angola police, Steuben County sheriff's office, Steuben County EMS, American Red Cross, NIPSCO and the Fremont Fire Department.