The Journal Gazette
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Woman says nephew rescued family before dying in fire

Associated Press

NEWARK, Ohio -- A woman says her nephew died in a house fire in Ohio after rescuing his family from the burning home and going back to search for the family's blind and deaf dog.

Authorities said 24-year-old Carl Aeby Jr. died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the fire Sunday in Hanover Township in Licking County. Fire officials said they saw heavy fire coming from the home when they were called around 4:30 a.m. Sunday and found Aeby's body inside.

Aeby's aunt, Valarie Hartsough, told The Advocate in Newark that her nephew "died a hero" after getting his father, who uses a wheelchair, and other family members out of the home. They weren't injured.

The Ohio State Fire Marshal's office said investigators believe the fire possibly started from an unspecified electrical failure. The investigation is continuing.


Sign up for our daily headlines newsletter

Top headlines are sent daily