The Journal Gazette
Tuesday, September 29, 2020 1:00 am

Suspect to plead guilty in 2 deaths

JIM CHAPMAN | The Journal Gazette

A man could get up to 100 years in prison after pleading guilty in shootings that left two people dead and another badly wounded in February, according to a plea agreement.

Kyaw H. Hlang, 24, is expected to plead guilty Wednesday in Allen Superior Court to two counts of felony murder and one count of attempted robbery.

A plea agreement filed last week says Hlang's sentence is not to exceed 100 years.

If a judge accepts the plea agreement, prosecutors will dismiss two counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and a sentencing enhancement for using a gun during the crime.

Hlang is one of three people charged in the Feb. 26 shootings at 2405 Barnhart Ave., near East State and Coliseum boulevards.

Mon Ong, 21, who was shot in the chest, and Brooke Wendel, 23, who was shot in the head, both died. Meng Kem, 27, was shot in the neck and the head but survived.

Kerwins Louis, 21, and Jamesley Paul, 23, are both charged with two counts each of murder and felony murder, one count of robbery with serious bodily injury and a firearm enhancement for using a gun to commit the crime. Paul's trial is set for Jan. 5. Louis is scheduled to stand trial Feb. 23.

Felony murder is defined by state law as a murder committed in the act of another felony – in this case robbery. Meng Kem told Detective Matthew Foote the men came to rob him of his money, which he estimated to be about $1,500.

According to court documents, two hours after the shooting, Officer Jean Gigli stopped a vehicle at Kenwood Avenue and Carew Street.

The officer smelled burnt marijuana and saw narcotics and cash in the back seat passenger door. Paul and Louis were both in the car, although they weren't driving.

Hlang was pulled over on North Anthony Boulevard near Coliseum Boulevard.

In the car, police also discovered a semi-automatic pistol with a magazine in it and a slide locked to the rear “as if it had been run dry,” records said.

Detectives Liza Anglin and Brian Martin interviewed Hlang at the police station. Hlang told Anglin there were other people with him when the shootings occurred and that he was the last person to leave the house. Hlang said he was supposed to go back to the home and pick up the gun in the morning. The gun was dropped between houses, one of which was his friend's, court records said. He was supposed to get rid of the gun, he said.

Hlang told Martin the two others “got all the dope and money and he didn't get (expletive).”

Subscribe to our newsletters

* indicates required