The Palace Theater opened at 126 E. Washington Boulevard in 1915 and was demolished in 1971. In today's History Journal photo, the interior can be seen peeking out through a destroyed wall.
Early in its life, it was a vaudeville house and showed movies.
Fort Wayne Civic Theatre moved into the Palace in 1957 after its previous home, the Majestic Theatre, was condemned and torn down, according to a history on Civic's website. It was renamed the Civic Playhouse and the theater group remained at the building until 1969.
The block is now home to the Civic Center Parking Garage.
To suggest a date or subject for History Journal, email Corey McMaken at email@example.com.