In 1958, the old Spy Run Avenue steel bridge, which had recently been replaced by what is now the Samuel Bigger Bridge just north of the intersection of Superior and Lafayette, was being torn down.
The bridge had carried traffic to and from Fort Wayne's business district and was one of the few remaining steel bridges in the city. It was constructed in 1888 by the Massillon Bridge Co., according to BridgeHunter.com, and was a "Whipple through truss" design similar to the Historic Wells Street Bridge.
The Samuel Bigger Bridge was constructed slightly to the east of the old steel bridge and was named for a 19th century Indiana governor. In October 2019, plans were announced to renovate the bridge and rename it the Fort Wayne Veterans Memorial Bridge with work starting in 2022.
To suggest a date or subject for History Journal, email Corey McMaken at email@example.com.