The Journal Gazette
 
 
Wednesday, February 19, 2020 1:00 am

Briefs

Disney's Cinderella Castle to get renovations

Associated Press

Even Cinderella needs an “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”

Disney officials said Monday that the iconic Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World in Florida would be renovated over the next several months.

The most noticeable changes will be the addition of gold trim to most of the castle and the darkening of the blue hue on the castle's turrets. The castle is located in the Magic Kingdom park.

Work on the castle will last through the summer. Despite the work, shows at the castle will continue as usual, Jason Kirk, a vice president of the Magic Kingdom, said in a blog post.

The renovation is coming during the 70th anniversary of the release of the 1950 classic animated film, “Cinderella.”

Pneumonia forces John to halt shows

Elton John canceled his two remaining New Zealand shows late Tuesday as he continued to suffer from a bout of pneumonia.

The shows have been rescheduled for next year. Earlier this week, John needed to cut short a performance in Auckland after he lost his voice and needed medical help on stage.

John said in a statement Tuesday he was 'incredibly disappointed' and sent his sincerest apologies to his fans. It was not immediately clear if his illness would affect other dates on his tour, which next moves to Australia.

Video clips posted online by fans at Sunday night's performance showed John breaking down in tears as he told the cheering crowd he couldn't go on any longer. The 72-year-old singer said he had walking pneumonia and was assisted off stage.

The concerts were part of John's Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour. After the New Zealand shows, John is scheduled for seven performances in Australia before traveling to the U.S. and Canada.

John had just returned to New Zealand after performing at the Academy Awards in Los Angeles. He won an Oscar for best original song for his theme song for the movie “Rocketman.”

Royals ending 25-year marriage

Queen Elizabeth II's nephew and his wife have amicably agreed to end their marriage, the couple said in a statement.

The Earl of Snowden, David Armstrong-Jones, and his wife Serena, the Countess of Snowden, agreed to separate after more than 25 years of marriage. Armstrong-Jones is the son of the monarch's late sister, Princess Margaret and became earl in 2017 upon the death of his father, former celebrity photographer Antony Armstrong-Jones.

The couple wed in October 1993 and have two children.

The earl, who is known professionally as David Linley, has written books about furniture and styling the home.

The announcement Monday comes only days after one of the queen's grandsons, Peter Phillips, and wife Autumn also revealed they intended to divorce.


Sign up for our daily headlines newsletter

Top headlines are sent daily

Share this article