The Journal Gazette
Saturday, March 27, 2021 10:40 pm

Roy scores twice; K's win 3-2 in OT

JUSTIN A. COHN | The Journal Gazette

Marco Roy scored twice, including the overtime winner, and the Komets defeated the Indy Fuel 3-2 tonight at Memorial Coliseum.

A.J. Jenks also scored for Fort Wayne, which got 24 saves from Dylan Ferguson.

The teams meet again 5 p.m. Sunday at the Coliseum.

Ferguson came into the night not having given up a goal all season – he stopped 24 shots for Henderson in a 3-0 American Hockey League victory Feb. 13 over Bakersfield, plus 22 on Friday in the Komets’ 5-0 victory over Indy – and he started out strong tonight.

He stopped back-to-back shots by Darlan Skeoch, from 15 feet out, and Chris Martenet, from 35 feet out, to keep the game scoreless 12:27 into the first period.

Indy’s Michael Pelech had a chance to break the deadlock, but Ferguson thwarted his shot from point-blank range at 15:41. Fuel goalie Tom Aubrun followed suit at 19:40, when he stopped Anthony Petruzzelli’s attempt to wrap the puck inside the right goalpost.

The second period was uneventful until the waning minutes, when Ferguson stopped a Pelech breakaway. Then, with Fort Wayne’s Stephen Harper in the penalty box for cross-checking, a Mike Lee shot caromed off Ferguson’s mask and onto the stick of Willie Raskob, who made it 1-0 from 20 feet out.

That ended 159:45 of scoreless hockey for Ferguson with Fort Wayne and Henderson. combined.

After Indy’s Nic Pierog was penalized for slashing 21 seconds into the third period, Fort Wayne’s Jenks scored a power-play goal by pushing his own rebound underneath Aubrun at 1:13.

Fort Wayne’s Brandon Hawkins’ cross-ice pass set up Roy for a one-timer that caromed off Aubrun and trickled into the net at 4:58 for a 2-1 lead, four seconds after a holding penalty on the Fuel’s Chris Martenet had expired.

Indy had a chance to tie it when it got a power play at 15:32 – Harper for slashing – but the Fuel was limited to only one shot on goal. But the Fuel kept at it and Pierog netted a 45-foot shot to tie it at 2 at 18:34.

Aubrun totaled 36 saves.

Notes: The Fuel’s Antoine Waked was suspended one game by the ECHL for boarding Anthony Petruzzelli on Friday, setting off a fracas with Fort Wayne’s Shawn Szydlowski. … Indy was without coach Doug Christiansen, who has served two games of his six-game suspension for violating the collective bargaining agreement and salary cap. Assistant Andy Contois is in charge in his absence. … The referee was Jacob Rekucki. … Goalie Stefanos Lekkas, who began this season with Fort Wayne, stopped 25 of 29 shots in his American Hockey League debut for Rochester, a 4-3 overtime loss to Syracuse on Friday. … Defenseman Matt Murphy, who started with Fort Wayne this season, made his debut with Chicago of the AHL on Saturday.


Sign up for our Komets newsletter

Newsletter is sent Friday and Monday