Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:00 am
Pacers make it official, get Joseph from Toronto
Staff, news services
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Pacers have officially acquired guard Cory Joseph from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for the draft rights of forward Emir Preldzic.
Joseph, 6-foot-3, averaged 9.3 points, 2.9 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 25 minutes last season. He made 22 starts.
Joseph, who turns 26 next month, played in Toronto for two seasons after spending the first four years of his pro career in San Antonio.
The acquisition completes the sign-and-trade deal with Toronto that saw the Raptors land former Pacer C.J. Miles.
Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard said in a release that Joseph “has been on our radar for a while.”
Preldzic has spent the last two seasons in the Turkish League. The Pacers had acquired his draft rights in a July 2016 trade with the Dallas Mavericks. He was selected by Phoenix in the second round in 2009 draft.
The Pacers also announced they have waived forward Georges Niang, who was selected by with the 50th overall pick in the second round of the 2016 NBA draft, and recorded a total of 21 points and 17 rebounds over 23 games during his rookie season with the Pacers.
Niang also made six regular season starts for the Mad Ants, averaging 19 points, 7.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
• Detroit signed free agent forward Anthony Tolliver and have re-signed swingman Reggie Bullock.
• Chicago signed former LSU guard Antonio Blakeney to a two-way contract and claimed guard David Nwaba off waivers.
• Orlando reached an agreement in principle with unrestricted free agent Jonathon Simmons on a three-year contract.
• Boston announced that Gordon Hayward has signed his four-year, maximum deal. It comes 10 days after he chose Boston over Utah and Miami in free agency.
Hayward, who will earn about $128 million, was an All-Star last season for the Jazz and averaged 21.9 points. He rejoins Celtics coach Brad Stevens, who coached Hayward at Butler.
• Former Indiana player Troy Williams scored 13 and had four assists, two steals and a rebound for Houston in its 92-86 loss to Atlanta. Ex-Mad Ant Jarrod Uthoff scored six for the Rockets.
• Former New Haven and Notre Dame standout V.J. Beachem scored four points for Minnesota in its 80-73 win over Washington.
• Former Bishop Luers and Indiana standout James Blackmon Jr. had six points and four rebounds for Philadelphia in its 99-82 loss to Chicago. Former Mad Ant Alex Poythress did not play (coach's decision).
• Late Thursday, former Homestead and Purdue standout Caleb Swanigan scored 13 and had 11 rebounds in Portland's 91-85 win over Toronto.
• Former Indiana player Thomas Bryant scored six points and had four rebounds for the Lakers in their 94-83 win over Cleveland.