Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:00 am
Father of bride reportedly won't attend royal wedding
LONDON – Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are requesting “understanding and respect” for Markle's father after a celebrity news site reported he would not attend the royal wedding to walk his daughter down the aisle, Kensington Palace said Monday night.
A palace statement on “this difficult situation” did not confirm the TMZ report that Thomas Markle had decided not to attend Saturday's wedding. The palace said earlier it would not comment on the report, and its statement did not clarify if the bride's father would or would not be at the wedding.
TMZ said Thomas Markle was upset over the way his decision to have staged paparazzi photos taken of him preparing for the wedding has been received and decided to miss the wedding to avoid embarrassing his daughter and the royal family.
The site also said he suffered a heart attack less than a week ago, and was returning to the hospital Monday with more chest pains.
The palace had announced last week that Thomas Markle and his ex-wife, Doria Ragland, would play important roles in the wedding. Both were expected to meet Queen Elizabeth II and other senior royals in the days before the wedding.