Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Morrison

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Local man accused of stalking, threatening woman

JAMIE DUFFY | The Journal Gazette

The emails became more threatening over several weeks this year as the woman became more afraid that a former boyfriend would "snap" and harm her or her children.

On Sunday, her church contacted a police officer to tell him the woman had received a threatening email from the stalker and she was afraid to go home, according to court documents.

"Do I have to just show up at your apartment to get you to talk to me?" James Ralph Morrison, 29, of the 6700 block of Ramblewood Drive, wrote. "You're not leaving me with much of an option."

Morrison was charged Tuesday with stalking in which the defendant threatens sexual battery, serious bodily injury or death, and six counts of intimidation where the threat is to commit a forcible felony.

The victim had reconnected with Morrison earlier in 2018 and around Aug. 25 attended an Indianapolis Colts football game with him as friends. Morrison wanted the relationship to become romantic again, but by Christmas electronic communications became so frequent that she sought pastoral counseling and considered changing her gym to avoid him, court documents said.

On Feb. 28, Morrison emailed a death threat, one of a few: "If you ever try to disrespect me, or humiliate me again like you did before...I will put you in the ground."

Morrison was interviewed Monday and told police he struggles with persistent anger because he feels rejected. He has ongoing struggles with impulsive anger and anxiety since returning from military deployment to Afghanistan and is also affected by his mother's death when he was young, court records said.

He said his "extreme pattern" of electronic communications with the woman was "over the top" and could see how it made her afraid. Morrison said he had tried to get counseling, but it was sporadic and not effective and that he routinely snorts Ambien to sleep, court documents said.

He was being held in lieu of $25,000 bail and has a court hearing Friday.