Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Amos

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:00 pm

2nd attempted murder conviction for Ft. Wayne man

JIM CHAPMAN | The Journal Gazette

A Fort Wayne man convicted last month of trying to kill a former girlfriend last year by ramming her car, shooting her several times and beating her was sentenced Tuesday to 46 years behind bars.

This is Willie Amos' second attempted murder conviction. He was convicted in 1995 of shooting a teen nine times in the back, arm and neck and was sentenced to 45 years. He was released after about 20 years.

An Allen Superior Court jury found Amos, 40, guilty in August of attempted murder and dealing a Schedule I drug. Judge John Surbeck convicted him of being a serious violent felon in possession of a handgun, a charge the jury didn't know about.

Surbeck sentenced Amos to 46 years in prison.

In the most recent case, Amos found Rosita York near her mother's house on Aug. 24, 2016, chased her in his car, ramming her car repeatedly and forcing her to crash into a tree. He then shot her three times as she tried to run and then kicked her in the face and stomped on her head before fleeing.

Defense attorney Anthony Churchward argued during last month's jury trial that no one could prove Amos intended to kill York. Amos stopped shooting her even though he had more bullets. The only issue at hand was the intent, Churchward said.

However, two days before Amos shot York, he told her he was going to kill her. He told her her days were numbered, Deputy Prosecutor Christine Neilson told jurors last month.

The only reason he didn't shoot her more times is that York played dead, Neilson said. 

When police arrested him, she said, he asked, "Did she die?"

Investigators also found more than 36 grams of the drug MDMA in his SUV, along with four cellphones and another magazine. 

jchapman@jg.net