Friday, October 12, 2018 1:00 am
Indy diocese lists accused priests
INDIANAPOLIS – The Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis on Thursday released the names of 23 priests who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse of a minor or a young adult dating to the 1940s.
The archdiocese published the names on its website, fulfilling a promise that Archbishop Charles Thompson made in August.
“I pray the release of this list of credibly accused clergy will help all survivors of sexual abuse find the strength to come forward and will set them on the path to healing,” Thompson said in a prepared statement Thursday.
The archdiocese said it reports all abuse allegations it receives to Indiana's Child Protective Services and criminal investigators, as required by law, and encourages all victims to contact civil authorities.
Seventeen of the priests named are dead, and each of those who are still alive has been removed from ministry.
The archdiocese also named four priests who each had single claims of abuse against them but who died before they could defend themselves against the accusations.
Finally, it named two others who had credible claims of abuse with 18-year-olds from emotional relationships that began when the victims were minors. They include Patrick Doyle, who was removed from ministry last week.