Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

  • Demby

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 1:00 am

Attack suspect opts not to represent self

Will use attorney, rely on insanity defense at his trial

MATTHEW LEBLANC | The Journal Gazette

The Fort Wayne man accused of attacking two women last year with a hammer and shooting them will not represent himself at trial. 

Raymond O. Demby, 53, raised the possibility in a June court hearing but he said Tuesday he will stick with defense attorney William Lebrato. 

Police say he broke into a home on Spatz Avenue on April 25, 2018, and attacked the women – his ex-girlfriend and her daughter. He faces several felony charges including attempted murder, aggravated battery and domestic battery with a deadly weapon. 

Lebrato has said he will rely on an insanity defense at trial, and a psychiatrist testified in a hearing last month Demby is not competent to stand trial. Allen Superior Court Judge Fran Gull and two psychologists disagreed, and he was ruled competent June 21. A three-day trial is scheduled Nov. 13. 

Police say Demby broke through a rear window at the home around 4 a.m. and attacked the 40-year-old woman and her 18-year-old daughter. He was forced by the women onto a porch, where investigators said the older woman was shot. 

The daughter was shot in the legs as she moved to help her mother, according to court documents. 

Demby was arrested after driving away from the home in a Pontiac Aztek and crashing it on South Harrison Street, police said. 

Lebrato has questioned his client's sanity, saying Demby is sometimes aggressive and unhelpful with his case. Demby has been disruptive in court hearings, interrupting the judge and questioning his lawyer. 

mleblanc@jg.net