Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Sunday, January 14, 2018 1:00 am

Nation/world

DACA renewal requests again accepted

News services

WASHINGTON – The federal government, citing a recent court order, said Saturday night that it has resumed the acceptance of requests for grants of deferred action under the DACA program.

The Trump administration had planned to rescind work permits for the young undocumented immigrants, insisting that it was for Congress to find a solution to the issue of their status.

But last week, a federal judge in California said the nearly 690,000 DACA recipients must retain their work permits and their protection from deportation while a lawsuit moves forward.

The suit challenges the decision to end the program.

On Saturday night, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said those previously granted deferred action under DACA may request renewal by filing the proper forms.

Death toll from mudslides at 19

The death toll from the mudslides in a California coastal town rose to 19 Saturday, but a man who had also been on the list of missing people was located alive, authorities said.

The body of Morgan Christine Corey, 25, was found in mud and debris in Montecito, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said. Her 12-year-old sister, Sawyer, had been found dead earlier.

Another person who had been on the list of missing, 62-year-old Delbert Weltzin, was found alive and well, Brown said without elaborating on the circumstances.

The two developments reduced the number of missing from seven to five.

Wahlberg donates fee after outcry

Following an outcry over a significant disparity in pay between co-stars, Mark Wahlberg agreed Saturday to donate the $1.5 million he earned for reshoots for “All the Money in the World” to the sexual misconduct defense initiative Time's Up.

Wahlberg said he'll donate the money in the name of his co-star, Michelle Williams, who reportedly made less than $1,000 on the reshoots.

“I 100% support the fight for fair pay,” Wahlberg said in a statement.

Actress alleges 'True Lies' abuse

Actress Eliza Dushku says she was sexually molested at age 12 by a stunt coordinator on production of the 1994 film “True Lies.”

In a Facebook post Saturday, Dushku also alleged that Joel Kramer, then 36, caused her to be injured on the set as payback for disclosing the alleged misconduct. Kramer denied the allegations in a Variety interview.