Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:00 am
PEOPLE AND PLACES
• Mike's Carwash will be giving free Basic Washes to veterans and active military personnel at all of their 22 locations, including those in Fort Wayne, today. In addition, veterans can upgrade their wash to the Ultimate Wash for $5 with the proceeds being donated to Ride 2 Recovery's Project Hero.
• The Fort Wayne Central Lions gave $3,250 to the following charities at its annual Appreciation Award Banquet Dinner: Audio Reading Service, Leader Dog for the Blind, Matthew 25/Sight Services and the League.
• The Northeast Allen County Fire and EMS, 13415 State St., Grabill, will have a pancake and sausage breakfast from 7 to 11 a.m. Nov. 18 to help raise money for the family of a fellow firefighter whose wife is undergoing treatment for stage-4 brain cancer.
• Longtime WOWO radio personality Bob Sievers was inducted this month into the National Radio Hall of Fame. A Nov. 2 induction ceremony was at the Museum of Broadcast Communications in downtown Chicago. Sievers worked for WOWO for 51 years, retiring in 1984. He died in 2007.
• Bailey Godfrey, a student at Huntington North High School, won the photogenic contest, best resume and placed third runner-up in the Miss Indiana. She now will have the opportunity to compete in the National American Miss Pageant during Thanksgiving week.
• Black Pine Animal Sanctuary in Albion received the Top-Rated 2017 Nonprofit Award by GreatNonprofits.