You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.
Allen County Sheriff's Department
Ashley A. Strong

Abuse of infant earns mother 6 years in prison

– She admitted to throwing her infant daughter against the wall because she couldn't get her to stop crying. That crime got her a six-year prison sentence this week in Allen Superior Court.

On Monday, Judge John Surbeck sentenced Ashley A. Strong, 28, to a total of 10 years in prison, but he ordered six years to be served behind bars and the remaining four years to be served on probation.

Strong, also known as Ashley Walton, called 911 in January to blame the incident on her 3-year-old daughter. She told dispatchers the girl dropped the 3-week-old infant on the floor, according to court documents.

But when police arrived, Strong said she was sleeping in bed with the children and awoke to one of them crying. She said she picked the baby up and said the back of the infant's head was “floppy.”

According to court documents, the baby had a skull fracture and bleeding on her brain. She was admitted to the hospital in critical condition. An update on the child's condition was not available.

Strong later admitted to police she had not slept for two days and couldn't get the baby to stop crying, so she threw her against the wall. Strong later tested positive for cocaine.

She pleaded guilty to felony battery, as well as neglect of a dependent, in early June.