You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Slice of Life

  • Making applesauce fun, easy
    In the midst of preparing for fall, there is one food item that (in my opinion) is almost always purchased and rarely homemade. I’m talking about applesauce.
  • Change up those layered salads
    Summer is over. OK, not officially over, but rather in a social, school has started, all the pools are closed and Halloween candy is starting to show up in the grocery aisles kind of summer is over.
  • Show creativity with zucchini
    We must truly be living in an alternative universe this year because I planted the seeds for the zucchini plants knowing they wouldn't grow, but somehow despite my neglect, lack of rain, then too much rain, bunnies and a strange looking
Easy recipe
Five-Minute Cookie Strata
14 chocolate chunk cookies (homemade or store bought)
1/3 to 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
4 bananas, sliced
1/2 to 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Cocoa or chocolate shavings
Quickly dip each cookie in a bowl with the liqueur and line the bottom of a 10-inch square dish with seven cookies. Slice two bananas over cookies and cover with half the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cocoa and pecans and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours. Serves 10 to 12.

Rules for throwing low-stress parties

We have all had that moment of panic when we think that the specific amount of food or events we have planned for casual entertaining during the weekend isn't going to be “good enough.”

How to counteract the panic? Welcome to Casual Weekend Entertaining 101.

Entertaining is supposed to be fun, and it's fairly simple to ensure that any guest (planned and unexpected) will feel like they are the most important people on the planet while you're able to actually relax and enjoy your own party. The best piece of advice I can give is to keep it casual and simple and to ask for help. Nobody can do everything themselves.

So what if the bed isn't made (just close the door) or the laundry is piling up (again, just close the door, it will still be there after the party)? Your friends are coming over, they don't care.

So here are my rules for casual entertaining:

•The company matters the most. No matter what you plan or do no party is perfect so ditch that idea that you can achieve it and lighten up. Remember that guests are coming to spend time with you and to enjoy themselves. The more relaxed you are, the more fun everyone will have.

•Delegate to everyone. When someone asks, can I help, say yes. Just know that having people give you a hand is not a sign that you are not a good hostess. It says you're a smart hostess.

•The 80/20 rule applies to parties, too. The 80/20 rule says focus on the most important – 20 percent – of a project and that will take care of the remaining 80 percent. If you focus on what is most important to you for the event (food, drinks, theme) and then let the rest go, you will find your stress level will be lower.

•Set the table the day before, if possible.

•Don't serve anything that will keep you in the kitchen while the guests are hanging out elsewhere.

•You will always need more ice than you think you will.

•Don't be afraid to serve pre-made, store-bought items or even takeout food.

•Think about rearranging furniture so people have places to sit.

•If there are kids at the party, think of activities to keep them busy or hire a baby sitter to play with them and organize games.

•I'm all for paper plates, napkins, etc., for larger events. Makes clean up so much easier.

•You can never have too many garbage cans and bags out in all of the rooms. The easier it is for guest to throw away their trash, the more likely they are to do it, which means less cleanup for you.

•When you start to feel stressed, take a deep breath, tell yourself to relax and treat yourself to some of the goodies you made. After all that work, you deserve it.

Eilen Goltz writes the Slice of Life food column, which appears Sundays in The Journal Gazette’s Living section. Contact Goltz at or write The Journal Gazette, 600 W. Main St., Fort Wayne, IN 46802.