The Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control holiday open house is tonight, and guests should not come empty-handed.
The shelter is open to the public from 3 to 7 p.m. at 3020 Hillegas Road for tours and visits with animals. Mayor Tom Henry will be on hand and refreshments will be served, according to a statement issued by the shelter.
Guests can donate money for medical supplies and adoption initiatives, or bring items on the shelter’s wish list:
- Canned food for cats and dogs (dry food not needed at this time).
- Feed for small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and parakeets.
- Durable chew toys such as Kongs or Nyla Bones.
- Plain clay cat litter.
- Pet treats.
- Small bags of timothy hay or alfalfa cubes.
- Care Fresh small-animal bedding.
- Towels and blankets for dog and cat bedding.
- Blank animal themed note cards with envelopes.
- Pet toys.
- Leashes and collars.
- Dog crates and cat carriers.
- Acrylic lamb’s wool sheets.
- Cat scratching posts made from rope (non-carpeted).
- Paper towels and rubbing alcohol.