You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • C. Lockwood Marine, retired Soya executive, dies at 76
    C. Lockwood Marine, a retired senior vice president from Central Soya, a volunteer for SCAN and a vice chairman of the Indiana Kids First Trust Fund, died Tuesday morning at his home. He was 76.
  • Day of Caring 'spruces up' Science Central
    Science Central got a little "sprucing up" today by volunteers from Lincoln Financial Foundation as part of the Allen County United Way’s "Day of Caring.
  • Harrison section to close for sidewalk work
    Harrison Street will be closed to traffic from about 6 a.m. to noon Thursday between Wayne and Berry streets for sidewalk work, the city of Fort Wayne said today.

Guard to add 17 acres

The Fort Wayne-Allen County Airport Authority has agreed to add another 17 acres to the 161 acres currently under lease to the Indiana Air National Guard.

The extra land will allow for future expansion by the Guard, Director of Administration and Finance Robin Strasser said Monday. The Airport Authority leases the land to the U.S. government, and the Guard does not pay rent, Strasser said.

“This is not your typical lease,” she said.

The original 1999 lease had been amended several times before the latest change. In 2006 it was extended from 2035 to 2085; just over 23 acres was added in 2008; and another 50 acres was acquired three years later.

The site is located east of Fort Wayne International Airport and adjacent to the Guard’s current facilities.

The newest lease amendment prohibits human habitation or gatherings and limits electromagnetic fields and power levels at the site.

Construction of public or access roads that would reduce the Guard’s ability to store munitions is also prohibited, according to terms of the lease. Before the Guard can expand and receive federal or state funding, it must show a controlling interest in the designated real estate, according to federal regulations.