The Komets' 62nd season -- first under coach Gary Graham -- has gotten off to a rocky start.
A 4-2 loss Sunday to the Evansville IceMen -- in Fort Wayne's first road game of the season -- dropped the Komets to 0-1-2.
Fort Wayne had a chance to force overtime but forward Chris Auger's redirection was turned away by goaltender Mike Clemente, and that was almost immediately followed by Nathan Moon's empty netter to complete the scoring with 15 seconds remaining.
Forward Mike Vaskivuo opened the scoring for the Komets on a power play 6:36 into the game.
Joe Lavin answered at 12:17 and Matt Lowry got a short-handed goal at 18:42 for a 2-1 IceMen lead.
Fort Wayne's Mickey Lang netted a short-handed goal 7:01 into the third period, but Josh Beaulieu's power-play goal 23 seconds later was the winner.
Goaltender Cody Reichard stopped 27 of 30 shots. Clemente stopped 26 of 28 for the IceMen (3-0-0).
There were two fights: Lincoln Kaleigh Schrock took on former teammate Matt Krug, and Nick Tuzzolino fought Thomas Larkin.
Fort Wayne scored on 1 of 6 power plays. Evansville was 1 for 3.
- The Komets are off until they play at Las Vegas on Friday and Saturday.
- This was the first game televised on MyTV Fort Wayne. What did you think of the broadcast?
- I think the Komets really need a power forward. When was the last time they had a legit one?
- Peter Tarnaris was the referee for a second straight Komets game.
- Matt Firman was inserted into the lineup, after the 5-4 shootout loss to Cincinnati on Saturday, and Bobby Hughes was scratched.
- Lang and Brandon Marino lead the Komets in scoring with four points.
- Tuzzolino, Tristan King and Jace Coyle are team-worst minus-3s.
- The Komets have as many short-handed goals (2) as power-play goals this season.