You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Arrest made in North Webster bank robbery
    A Warsaw man has been arrested in connection with last week’s North Webster bank robbery, according to the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department.
  • 6 years given for machete attack
    She struck him with a machete, severing an artery in his wrist. Then she smacked him in the head with a board while her boyfriend held him down on a sofa.
  • 4 years given for beating with beer mug
    When he awoke, he saw his family surrounding him. Chad Rockey doesn’t remember how long he was out.
Cathie Rowand | Journal Gazette
Firefighters work to free the driver of a semi that crashed into a retaining wall on I-69 just south the of Goshen Road exit on Tuesday morning

1 critically injured on I-69

Cathie Rowand | Journal Gazette

The Fort Wayne Police Department is asking for the public's help after a crash on Interstate 69 early Tuesday.

At 12:19 a.m., police responded to a report of an injury accident involving a semi at the 309-mile marker, just south of the Goshen Road exit. When officers arrived, they found a man in critical condition.

The Fort Wayne Fire Department said firefighters extinguished a small fire below the semi and then tried to get the driver out.

The load of cabbage in crates had spilled over the front of the vehicle on top of the driver, who was pinned. Firefighters, police, TRAA medics and Hoagy's wrecker service worked for more than two hours to extricate him before the decision was made to amputate a portion of his leg in order to free him.

Witnesses told police that the truck, which was going south on I-69, left the road and struck the sound barrier wall on the west side of the road before coming to a stop. Police said they believe the semi had driven along the guard rail for several feet before breaking through and completely leaving the road, hitting the sound barrier wall.

Anyone who witnessed the crash is asked to call police.

I-69 southbound at the 309 mile marker later remained restricted to one lane while crash team members investigate the crash.

The crash is under investigation by the City of Fort Wayne Police Department.

For more on the crash, see Wednesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette or return to after 3 a.m. Wednesday.