An accidental cooking fire caused an apartment blaze that heavily damaged several apartments in a south-side apartment building, Fort Wayne firefighters said today.
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called shortly after 9 a.m. to a fire at 6060 Turtle Creek Drive, and found smoke and fire showing from the first and second floors, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said in a statement.
Extra crews were called to the scene because of the potential for the fire to spread and potential hazard to lives, the statement said.
It said crews controlled the fire within 30 minutes, containing the fire to one apartment and the attic. Ceilings and walls in adjacent departments were breached to check whether the fire had spread, but no additional fire was found.
Occupants affected by the fire are being relocated into other apartments, the statement said.
It said Fort Wayne police, the Three Rivers Ambulance Authority, the city's neighborhood code and water departments, and Indiana Michigan Power assisted at the scene.