Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:02 pm
Texas football player, 12, dies after ant bites
The Associated Press
Officials confirmed Tuesday that Cameron Espinosa died days after being bitten multiple times by fire ants. Corpus Christi school district spokeswoman Lorette Williams says the boy used a water bottle to try and remove the ants, but he eventually fell unconscious last Wednesday. He was taken to a hospital and was hospitalized in critical condition. The eighth-grader died Monday.
The game resumed after Cameron was transported to the hospital, but it was later halted when the severity of his condition became apparent.
Williams says the boy didn't know he was allergic to ants. The district had no record of allergies.