You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire


Woman jailed in home holdup tied to ’12 killing

– Police have arrested a woman accused of taking part in a home-invasion robbery in June 2012 that led to the shooting death of Gregory Mitchell, a 58-year-old organizer at a Fort Wayne youth center.

The woman, Alisha Kizer, 20, told police she knew Mitchell from the youth center, where he had helped her and her sister. Despite that connection, Kizer and two men went into Mitchell’s house to rob him at gunpoint, and when he fought back he was shot, according to a probable cause affidavit filed Friday.

Kizer faces a preliminarily charge of attempted robbery causing death. She was arrested Thursday evening, said officer Michael Joyner, a city police spokesman.

Kizer was being held Friday at the Allen County Jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. The two men involved in the home invasion remain at large, authorities said.

“We’ve made one arrest in the investigation, and it continues,” said Joyner, who offered no other information.

It’s not clear what prompted investigators to question Kizer about the case. A detective, with a search warrant to take a DNA sample from Kizer, interviewed her Thursday, the affidavit said.

When the detective started asking her questions about Mitchell’s death, she became scared and began to cry. She told the detective that she and the two men went to Mitchell’s home to do “a lick,” slang for a robbery, according to the affidavit.

The two men were armed with handguns and wore gloves and dark clothing when they and Kizer entered Mitchell’s house at 1911 S. Clinton St., just south of East Masterson Avenue. The two men confronted Mitchell upstairs and held him at gunpoint, the affidavit stated.

In Kizer’s words, Mitchell “tried to be a hero” and started fighting the intruders. Mitchell was shot, and the clash continued downstairs, and more shots were fired, the affidavit stated. The affidavit did not say who shot Mitchell nor did it name Kizer’s two accomplices.

Kizer told the detective she searched the house for items she could sell but did not take anything. Before she and the two men left, she wiped the doorknob to remove any fingerprints, the affidavit stated.

Not long after the shooting, on the morning of June 2, 2012, Mitchell’s relatives discovered his body and called 911. Police found several shell casings near his body, the affidavit said.

Until the affidavit was filed Friday, little information, including a motive, had been made public regarding Mitchell’s death. In December 2012, police said they had persons of interest in the case.

Mitchell was a Fort Wayne native who coached youth basketball. He had 13 sons, one daughter and 10 grandchildren. He worked at the Albert G. Jennings Center, a city parks facility in the East Central neighborhood, coordinating the center’s after-school and summer programs.