You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Courts

  • 2011's drug ring bust: Where are they now?
    More than three years after the members of the drug trafficking ring were rousted from their homes, cuffed and taken into federal custody, nearly all now know their fate.
  • Fifth man handed 10 years for nabbing, beating teen
    The fifth of six then-teenagers who beat and held hos­tage another teen before dumping him in a park with bleeding on his brain and a fractured sternum was sentenced to prison Friday.
  • Report public, Wartell says
    In the five months since an investigative report was declared evidence in former IPFW Chancellor Mike Wartell's lawsuit against Purdue University, university attorneys never asked for a court order to keep it from the public.
Advertisement

Guilty plea in drug-traffic plot

A man implicated in a drug conspiracy investigation that ensnared 18 people from Allen and Steuben counties and Michigan pleaded guilty this week.

Gerardo Martinez-Gaston, initially charged with a slew of drug dealing counts, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court on Tuesday to one count of conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance.

As part of a plea deal, federal prosecutors will recommend that Martinez-Gaston receive less than the 20 years that count carries, but an exact number is not given in court documents.

Martinez-Gaston was charged as part of an investigation by federal agents comprising the Safe Streets Task Force.

A federal attorney said earlier that the network Martinez-Gaston belonged to was a major drug trafficking ring in the city.

Advertisement