You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Celebrities

  • Writers get honors from PEN Center
    Playwright David Rabe, journalist and critic James Wolcott and poet Frank Bidart are among this year’s winners of awards given out by the PEN American Center, the literary and human rights organ ...
  • Ventura wins $1.8 million in slander suit
    Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura won $1.8 million Tuesday in his two-year fight to prove he was defamed by a military sniper and best-selling author who claimed to have punched out Ventura at a bar for bad-mouthing the Navy SEALs.
  • B.B. King to revisit Embassy
    The thrill is not gone for legendary artist B.B. King, who is set to return to Embassy Theatre in October, the theater announced Monday. The 88-year-old is scheduled to take the stage Oct.
Advertisement
People in the news

DeGeneres to return as Oscars host

– Comic and daytime TV host Ellen DeGeneres was picked to host the Academy Awards for the second time.

Show producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron announced DeGeneres’ selection Friday. The movie awards show will air on ABC on March 2.

“There are few stars today who have Ellen’s gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity,” the producers said in a statement. “She is beloved everywhere.”

DeGeneres quipped: “I am so excited to be hosting the Oscars for the second time. You know what they say – the third time’s the charm.”

Last year’s host, “Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane, drew mixed reviews for an edgy performance.

Academy Awards organizers attracted a younger audience with MacFarlane.

With DeGeneres, they went for a star that Hollywood and TV viewers were familiar and comfortable with.

DeGeneres was nominated for an Emmy Award for her last gig.

Prince’s birth officially registered

It’s official.

Royal officials say Prince William and his wife, the former Kate Middleton, have formally registered the birth of their son – and put to rest any doubts about their occupations as royals.

Kensington Palace said William signed the birth registry Friday for Prince George, third in line to the throne, who was born July 22 at St. Mary’s hospital in London.

The register entry gives the date, place of birth and full name of His Royal Highness Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge.

William and Kate’s full names were also given, with occupations listed as Prince of the United Kingdom and Princess of the United Kingdom.

The couple’s “usual address” is given as Kensington Palace, in London.

– Associated Press

Advertisement