You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Police seek help finding Mount Etna boy
    A teenage boy with special needs is still missing from Huntington County, and police hope the public can offer some tips.
  • Missing Mount Etna teen found in Fort Wayne
    17-year-old Brandon Smith who had been missing since Friday, was found safe in downtown Fort Wayne Sunday morning, the Huntington County Sheriff’s Department said.
  • 1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting on East Rudisill
    An adult male died from gunshot wounds early Sunday, according to Fort Wayne police spokesman Jason Anthony.Officers responded to a shooting about 12:55 a.m. in the 600 block of East Rudisill Boulevard.

Battery count filed in man’s stabbing

A Fort Wayne man accused of stabbing another man in the back and buttocks before retreating into a house to hide from a police officer was charged Thursday with battery.

Kevin D. Morris, 31, is charged with felony battery and criminal recklessness.

According to court documents, a Fort Wayne police officer had responded to the house at 3:58 p.m. Sunday for a different investigation.

While the officer was approaching the house, a man stepped off the front porch and was struck by Morris. The victim then yelled that he had been stabbed and was assisted to the ground by the officer and other family members, court documents said.

The man had been stabbed three times in the buttocks and once in the lower back. Morris said he had stabbed the man in self-defense after he put him in a chokehold to the point he could no longer breathe, according to court documents.

The victim broke away after being stabbed and ran out the door, followed by Morris. Morris then turned and went back into the house when he saw the officer, the documents said.

Morris, of the 4300 block of Warsaw Street, was being held in lieu of $12,500 bail.