You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
The final weave structure, after washing, close up.

Playing with Warp Spacing

Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
My edges aren't perfect, but they are improving.
Lara Neel - The Journal Gazette
This was fun.

I'm planning on purchasing another loom soon, but it might be a while before I can afford all of the different heddles I want for it. I'm starting out with an 8-dent heddle. But, I wanted to see what would happen if I used a finer heddle, did some math, and left some open spaces. This would allow me to use a thicker yarn with an 8-dent heddle. (Thinner yarn will have to be doubled, or left alone until I get more heddles.)

In a 12.5-dent heedle, I repeated fill 2, skip, fill 1, skip in slots with direct-warp loops. Every 5th time, I added an extra fill where there would have been a skip.

I made a small spreadsheet showing 25 warp positions, and checked them off as I went. It made warping up relaxing and pleasant.

I ran out of warp yarn at position 42 out of 50. Whoops!

I sleyed the reed by simply pulling one thread into the hole to the right of each filled slot.

The warp was a basic worsted-weight that could have been Cascade 220, but I'm not sure.

The weft was a thicker black yarn that could have been handspun from my sister, but could have been anything.

I didn't plan on the section where 4 slots were full in a row (the result of 2 edge sections in a 25-slot repeat), but I actually quite like it. If I hadn't run out, this would have been in the dead center of the sample.

The loom photo is with the heddle in the down position, with paper in the shed, to show the spacing. I think there is one thread on the left side that snuck into the photo - it shouldn't be there.

My edges are also getting better, but they're not perfect.

Overall, it was a fun experiment. The cloth doesn't look exactly like what I would have made with a larger reed, but it is interesting.