FILE - This Dec. 12, 1985, file photo, shows the wreckage of Arrow Air Flight 1285 after the plane crashed in Gander, Newfoundland, killing all 256 passengers and crew on board. The plane crash was among Canada's deadliest accidents in the last 150 years, killing 256. Police say 50 people are presumed dead following a July 6, 2013, fiery oil train crash in Lac-Megantic, Quebec, making it Canada’s worst railway crash in nearly 150 years. (AP Photo, File)
Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:29 pm
Deadly accidents in Canada in the last 150 years
By The Associated Press
- 1864 - St-Hilaire train disaster, Richelieu River, Beloeil, Quebec: 99 deaths.
- 1907 - Quebec bridge collapse: 76 deaths.
- 1910 - Spanish River derailment, Northern Ontario: 44 deaths.
- 1914 - SS Southern Cross shipwreck off Newfoundland: 174 deaths.
- 1914 - Hillcrest mine disaster, Hillcrest, Alberta: 189 deaths.
-1914 - Empress of Ireland shipwreck in the St. Lawrence River: 1,012 deaths.
- 1917 - Explosion of munitions ship in Halifax, Nova Scotia: 2,000 estimated deaths, 1,950 recorded names.
- 1918 - SS Florizel shipwreck, Cappahayden, Newfoundland: 173 deaths.
- 1927 - Laurier Palace Theatre Fire, Montreal: 77 deaths.
- 1947 - Dugald train disaster, Dugald, Manitoba: 31 deaths.
- 1958 - Springhill mining disaster, Springhill, Nova Scotia: 74 deaths.
- 1963 - Trans-Canada Air Lines Flight 831 from Montreal to Toronto air crash: 118 deaths.
- 1970 - Air Canada Flight 621, near Toronto: 109 deaths.
- 1982 - Ocean Ranger oil platform sinking, off Newfoundland coast: 84 deaths.
- 1985 - Crash of Arrow Air flight in Gander, Newfoundland: 256 deaths.
- 1986 - Hinton train collision, Hinton, Alberta: 23 deaths.
- 1992 - Westray mine explosion, Plymouth, Nova Scotia: 26 deaths.
-- 1997 - Thanksgiving Day bus crash near Les Eboulements in Quebec's Charlevoix region: 44 deaths.
- 1998 - Crash of Swissair Flight 111 into Atlantic Ocean off Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia: 229 deaths.