Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:47 pm
Timeline of apologies by ex-Ohio St. President Gee
By The Associated Press
- In audiotaped comments to the university Athletic Council, Gee criticizes Notre Dame's negotiating tactics, jokingly refers to "those damn Catholics," lampoons the academic integrity of the University of Louisville and Southeastern Conference while singling out the University of Kentucky, alleges that University of Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez considered former Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema a "thug," makes mildly disparaging remarks about Alvarez and Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and laughingly suggests that Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith would have to be shot before he'd allow the University of Cincinnati to join the Big Ten.
- University trustees learn of the comments.
- University trustees deliver a letter to Gee ordering him to "promptly" undertake a series of initiatives to make up for the remarks, including personal apologies.
- Gee sends an email to the Rev. John Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, asking if they could meet "in the near future" when Gee will be in South Bend, Ind., home of Notre Dame.
- In a speech to the Columbus Metropolitan Club, Gee refers to his habit of unfortunate remarks without mentioning the Dec. 5 comments, saying: "Even as my world view has greatly expanded, I have at times misstepped."
Monday, May 13
- The Associated Press submits public records request for audiotape of Dec. 5 remarks.
Thursday, May 16
- Gee speaks at the Health Sciences Commencement of Louisiana State University, an SEC school where his daughter is an assistant professor.
Monday, May 20
- During an already scheduled meeting with Roman Catholic Bishop Frederick Campbell of the Diocese of Columbus, Gee apologizes for his remark about Catholics.
Tuesday, May 21
- Gee calls Alvarez to apologize, then travels to South Bend to apologize in person to Jenkins.
Friday, May 24
- Gee calls SEC Commissioner Mike Slive to apologize.
- Leaves for a weeklong Disney cruise with his family.
Thursday, May 30
- The AP publishes a story about the Dec. 5 comments.
Friday, May 31
- University of Cincinnati President Santa Ono tweets that he accepts Gee's apology from the week of May 20.
- Bielema tweets an image of an email apology that day from Gee.
Saturday, June 1
- Gee returns from vacation.
- Gee calls Bielema and University of Kentucky President Eli Capilouto to apologize.
Sunday, June 2
- Gee calls University of Louisville President Jim Ramsey to apologize.
- At 8 a.m., Gee meets with a number of his top officials and aides, including the university's top communications official, chief internal lawyer and the Ohio State human resources director.
- At 10 a.m., he leaves for the Big 10 Council of Presidents' meeting in suburban Chicago.
- That evening, Gee apologizes to the Big 10 in a statement.
Monday, June 3
- Gee withdraws as the June 8 commencement speaker at Francis DeSales High School, a Columbus Catholic school.
Tuesday, June 4
- At 8:30 a.m., Gee has breakfast with trustee chairman Bobby Schottenstein.
- At a previously scheduled lunch with Gov. John Kasich at Gee's residence, Gee informs Kasich of his decision to retire.
- At 3 p.m., Gee announces his retirement in a conference call with reporters.
- Gee holds meeting with his senior management council, the cabinet of his top university officials.
Wednesday, June 5
- Gee holds a news conference at the Ohio Union where he answers questions about his decision.
Source: AP Research.