You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

U.S.

  • Full holiday menu for Obamas; 6 pies for dessert
    WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama spent a quiet Thanksgiving at the White House where the belly-stuffing menu featured all the holiday’s basics.
  • Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Many immigrants in the United States illegally who apply for work permits under President Barack Obama's new executive actions would be eligible for Social Security and Medicare benefits upon reaching retirement age,
  • Video: Cleveland officer shot boy within seconds
    CLEVELAND (AP) — The police officer who fatally shot a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun fired within 1½ to 2 seconds of pulling up in his cruiser, police said Wednesday. During those few moments, he ordered the youngster three times to
Advertisement
Associated Press
From left, Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, who were held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade, broke their public silence in a 3 1/2-minute video posted Monday on YouTube.

Women in kidnapping thankful

Break silence, ask for privacy in YouTube video

– Stylish and smiling, three women allegedly held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade offered thanks on YouTube for emotional and financial backing they’ve received since going “through hell and back.”

From Amanda Berry, 27: “I want everyone to know how happy I am to be home, with my family, my friends.”

“I would say ‘thank you’ for the support,” said a soft-spoken Gina DeJesus, 23, in response to prompting from a narrator.

And from Michelle Knight, 32, who wasn’t a familiar face on a milk carton around town like the other two, came a sometimes halting yet defiant reading of a statement.

“I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face and with my head held high,” she said. “I will not let the situation define who I am. I will define the situation. I don’t want to be consumed by hatred.”

The 3 1/2 -minute video, produced last week and posted at midnight Monday, was filmed in a Cleveland law firm overlooking treetops, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Lake Erie.

DeJesus’ mother, Nancy Ruiz, encouraged parents with missing loved ones to reach out for assistance.

“Count on your neighbors,” she said. “Don’t be afraid to ask for the help, because help is available.”

The women have turned aside media interview requests and appealed again for privacy since they were rescued in May when Berry broke through a door and yelled to neighbors for help.

The women had disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16, and 20 years old. The owner of the home where they were found, 52-year-old former bus driver Ariel Castro, was arrested and has pleaded not guilty to a 329-count indictment alleging he kidnapped them off the streets and held them captive in his two-story home.

“I am getting stronger each day,” Berry said. “Having my privacy has helped.”

The trio wants to maintain that privacy, according to a statement from the team of lawyers and crisis management experts helping them without charge.

Castro’s trial is scheduled for next month but could be delayed if the defense asks for more preparation time.

Advertisement