INDIANAPOLIS – A fatal shooting after a Fourth of July fireworks show in downtown Indianapolis is the latest in a string of shootings involving unruly teenagers, police said Friday.
The shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. Thursday at an intersection two blocks south of Monument Circle. The teenager who was shot, 16-year-old Monquize Edwards of Indianapolis, was taken to a hospital in critical condition and pronounced dead there.
No other injuries were reported, and no arrests were immediately made.
The violence followed the end of the fireworks show that drew tens of thousands of people to the downtown area, but Lt. Chris Bailey said the fireworks crowd had largely dispersed by the time the shooting occurred.
He said officers were moving a large crowd of teens away from a downtown Indianapolis mall just before the shooting.
They heard shots and they started running in the other direction, Bailey said Friday.
Police also headed off several skirmishes Thursday night and said they confiscated a gun from a 20-year-old man near the downtown canal.
Officials and activists have repeatedly complained about large groups of unattended teens being sent downtown by their parents.
Their concerns were heightened in 2010 when three shootings during the Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration left 10 young people between the ages of 10 and 19 injured. Police said those shootings stemmed from a confrontation between two gangs.
In March of last year, a 16-year-old boy involved in a Facebook dispute was charged with shooting five other teens along the downtown canal, which had been dyed green for St. Patricks Day.
The victims, two of whom were seriously wounded, were between the ages of 14 and 17.