Statement as issued Wednesday:
City of Fort Wayne - Animal Care & Control cautions the public that pets can easily become overwhelmed by the noise and commotion of the July Fourth holiday. Pet owners are asked to supervise pets whenever they are outside. Festivities and thunderous noise from fireworks contribute to the increased number of runaway pets that are brought into the city shelter at this time of year.
Animal Care & Control offers these tips for keeping pets safe and at home during the days surrounding the Fourth of July celebration:
- Keep dogs and cats inside a home or well-ventilated building as much as possible when fireworks are being used. Animals often flee in panic from the loud and unexpected noise of fireworks.
- When your dog is outside, secure all gates, supervise, and keep a current identification tag on your pet’s collar. Cats should be kept inside the home.
- Pets should not be taken to any parade or celebration where fireworks and loud noises occur. Crowds and frightening sounds may cause an animal to react in fear, resulting in a possible dog bite injury or run away animal.
- Do not leave an animal in a parked car. On a 70-degree day the inside of a car can reach temperatures of 120 degrees or more in a matter of minutes. Even with windows open, heat can lead to seizures and even death in a very short time. Partially opened windows won't provide sufficient air, but do provide an opportunity for your pet to be stolen.
- If your pet disappears, Animal Care & Control will be open Friday, July 5th from 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. for people to search for a lost pet. Anyone finding a lost animal is asked to file a found report with the shelter. The animal can be kept in the finder’s home or relinquished to Animal Care & Control, located at 3020 Hillegas Road. Call 427-1244 for information and to immediately report a found pet.
- Fireworks in the region
- Indiana police using pickups to nab traffic scofflaws over Fourth of July weekend
- Fort Wayne offices to close for holiday
- Ohio patrol targets impaired drivers over Fourth weekend
- 2013 July 4 fireworks
- Waste Management trailers, electronics recycling to close for 4th
- Allen County offices to close July 4
- CANI to close July 4