You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Celebrities

  • Morgan sues Wal-Mart over crash
    Tracy Morgan has sued Wal-Mart over last month’s highway crash that seriously injured him and killed a fellow comedian. The lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S.
  • Brooks to finally go digital
    Garth Brooks, one of the last musicians to refuse put his music on iTunes, will make his songs available digitally on his own website in the next few weeks.
  • O’Donnell returns to ‘View’ table
    Rosie O’Donnell will return to ABC’s “The View” this September for a most unexpected second act. ABC announced Thursday on Twitter that O’Donnell will join Whoopi Goldberg on the nearly empty couch at the daytime chatfest.
Advertisement
File | Associated Press
This 2006 photo shows Kevin Clash, who was the voice and movements behind Sesame Street's Elmo.

Judge dismisses 3 lawsuits against ex-Elmo actor

NEW YORK – Three lawsuits brought by men who said former Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash sexually abused them when they were underage were tossed out by a federal judge who said in a decision published Monday that the men waited too long to sue.

U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl said the claims came more than six years after each man reasonably should have become aware of Clash’s alleged violations and more than three years after each turned 18. One other lawsuit is pending in Pennsylvania.

Clash resigned from “Sesame Street” in November after college student Cecil Singleton sued him for more than $5 million, accusing Clash of having sex with him when he was 15.

At the time, the man behind the popular furry red monster for 28 years said he was leaving the job because “personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work ‘Sesame Street’ is doing.”

Singleton’s lawsuit was among those thrown out Monday. Koeltl also rejected lawsuits brought by Kevin Kiadii, who claimed that Clash initiated contact with him on a gay chat line in 2004 when he was 16 and a third person, a Florida resident, who remained anonymous in his lawsuit as he claimed that Clash befriended him in late 1995 or early 1996 when he was 16 or 17.

Sex with a person under age 17 is a felony in New York if the perpetrator is 21 or older.

Adam D. Horowitz, an attorney for the men who brought the lawsuits, noted that the case was dismissed only on statute of limitations grounds.

“It should not be viewed as a vindication for Kevin Clash or a determination that he is innocent,” Horowirz said. “We are considering an appeal of this decision. We are also still hearing from more of his alleged victims.”

Other lawyers on both sides of the case did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Advertisement