Statement as distributed by the Angola Fire Department:
The City of Angola Fire and Police Departments and Steuben County Sheriffs Department promote safe, responsible fireworks use.
Angola City Fire joins with the Angola Police Department and Steuben County Sheriffs Department to encourage everyone to enjoy fireworks in the safest possible way. We recommend for everyone’s safety that they go to fireworks presented by trained professionals. If you are going to purchase fireworks for private use, we encourage them to use fireworks responsibly and take safety precautions.
Anyone with firework-related complaints in the city call Angola City Police at 665-2121 any one with complaints out in the county call Steuben County Commutations at 665-5521. 911 is to be used for emergencies only.
Indiana’s State Law which does allow adults age 18 and older to purchase fireworks for use on the user’s property or the property of someone who has consented to the use of fireworks or at a special discharge location designed by the Indiana State Fire Marshal.
Indiana State Law reads that fireworks may be discharged from 9:00 AM to 12:00 AM on Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day and New Year’s Eve. Any other day of the year fireworks may be discharged from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM. Steuben County ordinance is No person within Steuben County and outside to corporate limits of any municipality, shall use, ignite or discharge or permit to be used, ignited or discharge any type of consumer fireworks on any day other than the following.
- Between 5:00 PM and 2 hours after sunset on June 29-3, July 1-3 and July 5-9
- Between 10:00 AM and Midnight on July 4.
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Never let children handle, play with or light any fireworks.
- Always purchase your fireworks from reliable, licensed firework dealer.
- Use in a clear open area. Keep audience a safe distance away from the shooting sight.
- Safety glasses are recommended for those individuals lighting fireworks or those/ in close proximity to the fireworks.
- Do not alter any fireworks device or make your own fireworks.
- Only light on firework at a time.
- Never attempt to relight, alter, or fix any “dud” firework.
- Have a fire extinguisher, water hose or a bucket of water nearby at all times
- Be cautious of lighting any fireworks during strong wind conditions and light fireworks with prevailing wind blowing away from the spectators.
- Never smoke when handling fireworks
- Never aim, point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Use fireworks outdoors and never indoors