INDIANAPOLIS – An Australian man accused of making child pornography with a boy he bought in a foreign country and allowing other men to sexually abuse the child was sentenced Friday in Indiana, where the videos were found downloaded on a home computer.
The 42-year-old man, who investigators say used falsified documents to adopt the boy after bringing him to the U.S., was sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy charges involving child exploitation. The federal judge overseeing the case said she accepted the plea agreement only because the videos were too horrific to show a jury.
Prosecutors said the charges stemmed from abuse that occurred when the boy was 5 or 6 years old. But prosecutors said they discovered video this week showing the man using the boy for a sex act when he was younger than 2. Investigators also allege the man and his partner took the boy to foreign countries where they allowed other men to abuse him, often recording the acts.
The men had been living with the boy in California, where they were able to use falsified records to legalize an adoption. The mens names are not being released by the AP to protect the identity of the boy.