Statement as issued Friday by Community Action of Northeast Indiana, based in Fort Wayne:
Low-income families looking for relief from the intense summer heat can still turn to CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) for cooling assistance.
CANI’s Summer Cooling program began June 3rd and runs through August 31st. The Summer Cooling program provides families who were approved for the heating assistance program a $75 credit automatically applied to their electric bill. Summer Cooling is not an emergency program.
Applications for households that did not receive heating assistance between Nov. 1, 2012 and May 31, 2013 will be accepted after July 8th, 2013.
The maximum yearly income allowed is:
• One-person household – No more than $16,775 annually.
• Two-person household – No more than $22,695 annually.
• Three-person household – No more than $28,635annually.
• Four-person household – No more than $34,575annually.
• Add $5,940 for each additional family member.
Please note this is not an emergency program. The program cannot be used for disconnects.
CANI helps communities, families, and individuals remove the causes and conditions of poverty. For more information about CANI and the services provided, see www.canihelp.org.