BLOOMINGTON – A prominent part of the World War II battleship USS Indiana will become part of a permanent display at Indiana University’s Memorial Stadium.
School officials are acquiring the ship’s prow section from the owners of a California restaurant where it’s been on display for years. The front section of the ship with its name will join two guns and the main mast from the USS Indiana that are now outside IU’s football stadium.
Athletic director Fred Glass told The Herald-Times (http://bit.ly/19yuQUn ) that the addition helps put more emphasis on Memorial Stadium being a tribute to military veterans.
The USS Indiana was completed in 1942 and participated in several Pacific battles. It was decommissioned in 1947.
IU plans to dedicate the display at a Sept. 7 game against Navy.