Food left cooking unattended on a stove started a small fire Tuesday afternoon at a house on Fort Waynes north side, the city fire department said.
Shortly after 2 p.m., fire crews were sent to 8308 Hunters Knoll Place, near West Wallen and Lima roads. They found flames in the kitchen and smoke throughout the two-story house, the fire department said.
A smoke detector in the home had alerted an adult and three children to the fire, and they escaped before firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported.
It took 10 minutes to bring the flames under control. The blaze caused minor fire damage and moderate smoke damage, the fire department said.