You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Irish Insights

  • No. 2 Notre Dame beats Quinnipiac
    SOUTH BEND — Jewell Loyd and Brianna Turner bounced back in a big way for No. 2 Notre Dame.Loyd scored 23 points and Turner finished with 20, leading the Fighting Irish to a 112-52 victory over Quinnipiac on Tuesday night.
  • Drue Tranquill has torn ACL
    Carroll graduate Drue Tranquill, who started Notre Dame's last two games at free safety, tore an ACL and will require season-ending knee surgery.
  • Notre Dame men's basketball falls to Providence
    Providence's LaDontae Henton scored a career-high 38 points and deflected a last-second shot by Notre Dame's Pat Connaughton as Providence defeated the Irish 75-74 in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic.
Advertisement

Defensive end recruit sacks Notre Dame

Notre Dame will not have one of its top recruits when the 2013 football class reports to campus June 17.

Defensive end Eddie Vanderdoes will no longer attend Notre Dame and will instead enroll at UCLA, the California university confirmed in an email.

Rumors had swirled that he 6-foot-4, 305-pound All-American from Placer High School had been reconsidering his decision to sign with Notre Dame on National Signing Day.

"Eddie Vanderdoes will not be attending the University of Notre Dame," Notre Dame coach Brain Kelly said in a statement. "We did not release him from his national letter of intent in order to protect the integrity of that very important program, but we have worked with the Vanderdoes family so that Eddie can continue his education this fall at a school closer to his home."We understand Eddie's interest in remaining closer to his family and wish him well."UCLA confirmed Vanderdoes signed a grant-in-aid (acceptance of a scholaship) to the school, and the school said he could play for the Bruins only if the Irish release him from his letter of intent.

Vanderdoes wrote in a text to the Sacramento Bee: "I would like to thank the University of Notre Dame for lifting the recruiting ban and allowing me to sign an athletic scholarship with UCLA. Over the past four months, circumstances have changed for me and my family. For very personal reasons, I feel a strong need to remain close to home and be near those who are most important in my life.

"I am honored and humbled that Note Dame thought enough of me as a person and a football player to offer me a scholarship. They have been very gracious to recognize not only how difficult a decision this was, but also how important it was for me to be near my family at this time. I take my commitments seriously, but as circumstances changed, the most important commitment is the one made to family."

Vanderdoes was the top-ranked defensive lineman in the ESPN 150 for the Class of 2013 and the No. 10-ranked recruit overall.

Advertisement