INDIANAPOLIS – Indianas Bureau of Motor Vehicles says it may have inadvertently overcharged drivers for licenses.
The department made the acknowledgement in a response to a class-action lawsuit that alleges Indiana collected up to $30 million more than it should have by charging drivers more for licenses than allowed by law.
The BMV admits that on certain occasions, it may have inadvertently overcharged a number of Indiana citizens for operators licenses, lawyers for the state wrote in a May 15 court filing.
Indianapolis lawyer Irwin Levin sued earlier this year, alleging that drivers were charged up to $7 more for each license than allowed by law. Levin wants that money returned to drivers.
But the BMV, in its response, said is still trying to determine whether drivers were systematically charged more for their licenses.
The BMV is without sufficient information at this time to admit or deny the allegations regarding a systematic overcharge of Indiana drivers, Deputy Attorney General Don Hostetler wrote.
Hostetler wrote later that the state should be immune against the lawsuit under state law and that the statute of limitations has run out for plaintiffs.