You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
An officer speaks with a bystander on Oliver Street after a fatal shooting Thursday afternoon.

Man killed in gunfire

Witnesses say 3 men flee the scene; police make no arrests

The Journal Gazette

– A man was gunned down Thursday on Fort Wayne’s south side and police are seeking information about three people seen leaving the area after the shooting.

City police responded at 4:23 p.m. to the 3200 block of Oliver Street after receiving a call about a shooting, said John Chambers, a Fort Wayne Police Department spokesman.

Police and paramedics found a man in a front yard suffering from a gunshot wound, Chambers said. Paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene. His name was not released.

Witnesses told police three people were seen running from the area after the shooting.

Police had no information about the shooter, and no arrests had been made Thursday, Chambers said.

As crime scene investigators lifted the white sheet covering the body of the man, a young woman began loudly crying as her mother rushed to hold her.

She continued to scream for several minutes, while neighbors, family and friends stood by, tears running down their cheeks.

Lesli Scott, who lives several houses away from where the shooting took place, said she was inside her home when she heard gunshots and saw people running away from the area.

“I heard several of them,” she said, describing how she walked outside to see what the commotion was about. “Then I just saw people running.”

Alise Easley stood with the victim’s family as they received the news about the man and encouraged people to step up and take care of their children.

“Things got to change,” Easley said. “We just have to step up. Our kids have got to stop dying.”

Easley said she’d known the man for about five years and she was a close friend to his family.

“He was a good young man to me and was always very respectful to me,” she said. “We loved him.”