Skip to main content

The Journal Gazette

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:25 pm

17-year-old charged in deaths of Ohio brothers

By JOHN SEEWERAssociated Press

A 17-year-old who told authorities last week where they could find the bodies of two teenage brothers has been charged in their deaths, and prosecutors want to try him as an adult.

The aggravated murder charges announced Friday against Michael Fay came just over a week after he and the teens were named in an Amber Alert issued after the slain brothers' mother discovered a gun and blood inside a trailer home where the three boys lived with their mothers. The mother frantically called 911 on May 9, telling authorities to "please hurry."

The brothers, 14-year-old Blaine Romes and 17-year-old Blake Romes, were found dead several hours later.

Fay told officers that the Romes brothers were dead and pointed authorities to their bodies after he was found with a stolen car at a gas station in Columbus, about 120 miles southeast of the trailer park in Ottawa, the Putnam County Sheriff's Office said.

He pleaded not guilty to a grand theft auto charge a week ago, but was not immediately charged in the deaths. The aggravated murder charges were filed Thursday in juvenile court, but a judge has been asked to send the case to adult court, said county Prosecutor Gary Lammers.

Fay's attorney and his mother have declined to comment.

Authorities have released few details about what happened, saying they are limited because those involved are juveniles. Investigators have not said how the boys died. Documents from the sheriff's office indicate one of the bodies was found at the trailer while the other was found at a different location, but didn't say where. Autopsies were completed a week ago, but the county coroner has refused to release the results.

Hundreds of classmates attended a funeral Wednesday for the brothers in Ottawa, a village of 4,500 people south of Toledo.

The younger brother, Blaine, was supposed to join his classmates on an eighth-grade class trip to Washington the morning he disappeared. His mother told a 911 dispatcher she left work because he was not answering his phone that morning.

He was on the basketball and track teams at his school.

Blake was a junior at Ottawa-Glandorf High School, where he was involved in track and choir.