FILE - This Feb. 26, 2012 file photo shows actress Angelina Jolie at the 84th Academy Awards in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. Jolie says that she has had a preventive double mastectomy after learning she carried a gene that made it extremely likely she would get breast cancer. The Oscar-winning actress and partner to Brad Pitt made the announcement in an op-ed she authored for Tuesday's New York Times under the headline, "My Medical Choice." She writes that between early February and late April she completed three months of surgical procedures to remove both breasts. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, file)
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:02 pm
Celebrities react to Jolie's mastectomy revelation
By The Associated Press
- "She'll have empowered millions of women all over world. She is sexier than ever." - Sharon Osbourne, who announced last year that she underwent the same preventive procedure.
- "Huge prayers for Angelina Jolie & her family as she convalesces & bravo for raising awareness! (hash)GetWellSoonAngie" - Actress Octavia Spencer on Twitter.
- "Angelina Jolie reveals double mastectomy. Proud of her for using her incredible platform to educate women." - TV personality and breast cancer survivor Giuliana Rancic on Twitter.
- "There is no difference between the star Angelina Jolie and the woman Angelina Jolie. The choices she made even as a director are still strong, when you read what she wrote about her own situation, and we all know that she didn't do that for herself but as giving an example to all the women on this planet earth who are suffering from the same disease." - Cannes Film Festival director Thierry Fremaux.
- "It's definitely a personal choice for her. But I understand her point that she's trying to create awareness for women throughout the world so that they can prevent getting breast cancer. So I think she's trying to do a positive thing." - Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima at a Victoria's Secret event in Santa Monica, Calif.
- "This absolutely blew my mind. Angelina Jolie speaking out about a difficult decision that will inform + empower others." - Actress Nina Dobrev, on her website.
- "(hash)angelinajolie thank you for sharing your story and helping women around the world (hash)inspirational" - Singer and breast cancer survivor Kylie Minogue on Twitter.
- "Always liked Angelina Jolie... After today she's a real hero for being so brave in sharing her story & educating millions of women." - Tweeted TV personality Mario Lopez.
- "Not sure if I could ever face harsh reality as calmly, pragmatically, and fearlessly as Angelina Jolie did. Still kinda stunned." - Comedian Patton Oswalt on Twitter.
Associated Press writer Ryan Pearson contributed to this report from Los Angeles.