You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Local

  • Living with car-buying fever
      Joe Favazzo just wanted to look, not buy. But ... you know how it is.The classic car enthusiast wasn’t inside the Auctions America building for more than five minutes on Friday when he’d flashed his Bidder No.
  • Liz Brown’s Senate bid in spotlight
    The Republican State Leadership Committee’s “Right Women, Right Now” initiative last week recognized Liz Brown’s run for Senate District 15 as one of 14 races to watch in 2014.
  • Coliseum to host its seasonal hiring event
    Part-time seasonal help will soon be hired at Memorial Coliseum.This year’s annual hiring event will be from 2 to 7 p.m. Sept. 8 inside the Exposition Center at the Coliseum.
Advertisement

Woman, boy rescued from New Haven apartment fire

New Haven authorities say a woman and young boy were rescued from a burning second-floor apartment in a complex.

Emergency crews were called to the Cameron Court Apartments on Seiler Road in New Haven shortly after 2:30 a.m. Friday.

New Haven police Sgt. Brent Bolinger told WANE-TV that flames were shooting from a front window when he arrived and the woman lowered the boy to him from a back window.

Firefighters soon arrived and put a ladder up to the window and helped the woman down. Fire officials say most of the damage was contained to one apartment and part of the building's attic.

Officials said the woman and boy weren't hurt and no other injuries were reported.

The fire department later said that the fire was caused by candles the woman had lit after an earlier fire, and that the woman said she had forgotten they were burning all over the apartment.

Other building residents were not able to get back into their apartment because of water and smoke damage, the fire department said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Advertisement