You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Local

  • Get informed for Election Day
    With Election Day just over a week away, it’s time to brush up on the candidates to make sure you’re equipped to vote on Nov. 4.
  • Get informed for Election Day
    With Election Day just over a week away, it’s time to brush up on the candidates to make sure you’re equipped to vote on Nov. 4.
  • JG shows strongat Inland awards
    The Journal Gazette photo staff won four of the seven awards the newspaper received last week from the Inland Press Association. All full-time members of the staff were cited, including one photographer who was honored three times.
Advertisement

Woman, boy rescued from New Haven apartment fire

New Haven authorities say a woman and young boy were rescued from a burning second-floor apartment in a complex.

Emergency crews were called to the Cameron Court Apartments on Seiler Road in New Haven shortly after 2:30 a.m. Friday.

New Haven police Sgt. Brent Bolinger told WANE-TV that flames were shooting from a front window when he arrived and the woman lowered the boy to him from a back window.

Firefighters soon arrived and put a ladder up to the window and helped the woman down. Fire officials say most of the damage was contained to one apartment and part of the building's attic.

Officials said the woman and boy weren't hurt and no other injuries were reported.

The fire department later said that the fire was caused by candles the woman had lit after an earlier fire, and that the woman said she had forgotten they were burning all over the apartment.

Other building residents were not able to get back into their apartment because of water and smoke damage, the fire department said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Advertisement