You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Video shows mom punching boy, 14
    A Grabill woman faces criminal charges after police said she was recorded on video punching her 14-year-old son in the face and stomach and unleashing a tirade of vulgarities at him.Meagen T.
  • Mother faces felony after bruises on son
    A Fort Wayne mother was charged with a felony after accusations she hit her child hard enough with her hand to leave significant bruising, including fingerprint impressionsLindsay Olson, 28, of the 2700 block of Witchwood Drive, was
  • Woman walking on Werling is robbed
    She was targeted and robbed because she walked alone at night.One man grabbed her, held something against her back and told her to shut up while another man rifled through her pockets and stole her cellphone.
Michelle Davies | The Journal Gazette
Medics work on the man who was in the St. Marys River on Monday afternoon.

Man pulled from Fort Wayne river

In critical condition at St. Joseph Hospital

FORT WAYNE -- A man was pulled from the St. Marys River by water rescue crews Monday afternoon after being submerged in the water for about 20 minutes, but was revived and was in critical condition at nearby St. Joseph Hospital, Indiana conservation officers said.

Fort Wayne firefighters responded to the river at Rockhill and West Main streets at about 3:05 p.m., fire department spokeswoman Stacey Fleming said.

Witnesses said the man had entered the water on the opposite side of the bridge from where water rescue crews pulled him out.

Crews responded within minutes, but could not find the man at the edge of the river, Fleming said.

At 3:26 p.m., the man was pulled from the river, she said.

Firefighters pulled the man, who was on a stretcher, onto a nearby grassy area and began performing CPR. He was then moved to an ambulance that left a short time later.

The man's name was not released while his family is notified, conservation officers said.

Fleming said the incident remains under investigation and it is not clear why the man entered the water.

For more on this story, see Tuesday's print edition of The Journal Gazette or visit after 3 a.m. Tuesday.