You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Schools

  • Pence won't reconsider seeking US preschool grant
    INDIANAPOLIS - Education advocates pressured GOP Gov. Mike Pence on Tuesday to reconsider seeking a federal preschool grant, but the governor rejected calls to apply for up to $80 million in funding.
  • How will pre-K be financed?
    Allen County officials say they are waiting to see where future funding will come from for statewide prekindergarten now that Gov. Mike Pence has withdrawn an application for $80 million in federal funds.
  • For many, home is where the school is
    Michele Berkes-Adams tried several public and charter schools before she withdrew her 14-year-old son, Caedmon, and daughter, Delphi, 12, and started schooling them herself.“My son has Asperger’s.
Advertisement

Charter school forgoes appeal hearing with Ball State

One city charter school has decided to forgo a charter revocation appeal hearing before Ball State University officials.

Timothy L. Johnson Academy was one of three city charter schools whose charters have been revoked by sponsor Ball State. Imagine MASTer Academy and Imagine Schools on Broadway were the other two city schools whose charters were pulled. Imagine on Broadway attended its hearing on Tuesday, and MASTer Academy's hearing is set for April 24.

Johnson Academy's appeal hearing was scheduled for today, but the Rev. Mike Nickleson, board president, released a statement Wednesday saying the school believed an appeal hearing would be "fruitless."

"We feel that (Ball State) and (Johnson Academy) are at an impasse," Nickleson said in the statement. "Our desire to serve the at-risk community cannot be met under the current authorizer, and so we respectfully choose to withdraw our appeal of their decision."

Ball State officials have said the decision was made because the schools failed to meet certain academic standards and couldn't demonstrate sufficient improvement. The university respects Johnson Academy's decision not to pursue an appeal, said Joan Todd, executive director of public relations for Ball State.

The school has had difficulty achieving certain benchmarks because of the population of students it serves, Nickleson said. Nearly 99 percent of students are minorities and about 95 percent qualify for free- and reduced-price lunches, a common measure of poverty.

Nickleson said earlier this week that the school is pursuing other avenues and looking for other institutions that might be willing to serve as the school's sponsor. The school has already asked East Allen County Schools to authorize its charter, a request the district recently denied. He said it was encouraging to learn that Calumet College of St. Joseph has agreed to authorize the Charter School of the Dunes in Gary, another Ball State charter school whose charter was pulled by Ball State.

"We're in firm belief that we'll wind up with someone who understands our goal is to serve the at-risk community," Nickleson said.

sarah.janssen@jg.net

Advertisement